« May 2000 | Main | July 2000 »

The following was forwarded to 2000

The following was forwarded to me. I'd love if anyone can give me source & confirmation of this information.

The State of Texas, under the leadership of Governor George W. Bush, is ranked:
50th in spending for teachers' salaries
49th in spending on the environment
48th in per-capita funding for public health
47th in delivery of social services
42nd in child-support collections
41st in per-capita spending on public education
and ...
5th in percentage of population living in poverty
1st in air and water pollution
1st in percentage of poor working parents without insurance
1st in percentage of children without health insurance
1st in executions (avg. 1 every 2 weeks for Bush's 5 years)

Just think of what he could do for the country if he were president!

Oy. I'm voting for Ralph Nader.

Posted on June 30, 2000 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

I was ready for some 2000

I was ready for some good political news and here it is: Clinton Chooses Norm Mineta As Commerce Secretary. Yay!

Posted on June 29, 2000 at 01:44 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Take a few moments to 2000

Take a few moments to follow this link to American Birthright on Trial and scroll down to the photos. Americans criticizing British Imperialism and its atrocities need to spend a little time on U.S. history too.

Posted on June 29, 2000 at 09:54 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

I apologize to my loyal 2000

I apologize to my loyal readers for the reduction in MetaGrrrl content. I'm having trouble with my right arm again and having to keep myself away from the computer so that I don't become disabled. Remember, folks, if you feel pain, don't ignore it.

Posted on June 28, 2000 at 03:37 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

I Got It First Dept.: 2000

I Got It First Dept.:
Ed sent me a lovely gift:

Thanks for the idea to send quarters to people
who come up with good stuff on the net. Your
quarter is one of the 2004 Michigan commemoratives
with the picture of the Mackinac Bridge on the back.

Wow! That's so cool! Thanks, Ed!

Posted on June 28, 2000 at 02:58 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Sippey mentioned the ability to 2000

Sippey mentioned the ability to see everything you've ever ordered on Amazon, so I had a look at my history.

June 3, 1998 - March of the Falsettos CD
Well, Mark, we've definitely been friends for 2 years, because I know you're the one who turned me on to William Finn.
This was shipped to the apartment in San Jose which I shared with Joe.

July 6, 1998
DHTML Visual Quickstart Guide, Mulder's Guide to Style Sheets and the cast recording of Assassins. Deep in the web design groove and still feeling the musical influence of Mr. Bakalor.
This was shipped to the little studio apartment in Sunnyvale which was the first place I ever lived out on my own in the real world.

September 2, 1998
How to Do Your Own Divorce in California
Oh. Yeah. That summer had a lot about it that really really sucked. Man, am I glad we got through that. Believe you me, pals, divorce is unpleasant, even when you go through it with the best of people. It's taken almost two years, but I am so glad we've worked our way back to friendship. Joe is off to new adventures this summer and I had the great pleasure of sitting with him by the sea and hearing about it all. Remember, there's a reason you got together with someone; try to keep that alive even if none of the rest works out.

Oh, heh, forgot to scroll down. The other half of that order? Zoot Suit Riot by the Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

Hoo boy, and then September 7, 1998, I ordered Maggie Estep's No More Mr. Nice Girl and that just about says it all for a Monday morning when I'm late to work.

Posted on June 26, 2000 at 09:30 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

I just took a delightful 2000

I just took a delightful vacation to Yesterland, Werner Weiss' magnificent tribute to vanished attractions at Disneyland.

Posted on June 24, 2000 at 07:05 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

This is a reminder that 2000

This is a reminder that Denise's blog is some fine reading. Especially June 22 when she's writing about her adventures in Seattle and why sometimes it's good to get lost.

Posted on June 23, 2000 at 11:04 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Jinx has a simply amazing 2000

Jinx has a simply amazing post on dailyalice today exploring the nature of writing and the writing of blogs. It begins:

Little wonder that those bloggers who love writing have been struggling with the issue of the quality of writing in blogs. The blog is a new form of writing - new for the writer, new for the reader. From the writer's point of view, it is read upside down. From the reader's point of view, it is written upside down.

Posted on June 23, 2000 at 11:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Ah, I'm terribly sorry to 2000

Ah, I'm terribly sorry to have missed the live webcams for Andy Goldsworthy's "Snowballs in Summer" project in London. He is truly one of the most brilliant artists in the world. See, for example, this ice spiral around a tree, or this line of elm leaves, or these iris leaves and rowan berries. You can watch Andy in action in this clip from the Roland Collection of Films & Videos on Art.

Posted on June 23, 2000 at 10:35 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Now that's the kind of 2000

Now that's the kind of thinking I like to see! jack knows what to do with a quarter.

Posted on June 22, 2000 at 05:34 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

What is particularly depressing about 2000

What is particularly depressing about the news of the 58 dead Chinese immigrants is that everyone talks about how to enforce border controls and not about how to improve conditions in China so that people won't risk their lives just to escape. So now the U.S. has friendly trade relations with China. Forget human rights, how much money can we make off the Chinese people?

Posted on June 22, 2000 at 01:19 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Something about Octobers: nickd.org complete 2000

Something about Octobers:
nickd.org complete fabu redesign on Halloween last year. Spooky!

Posted on June 21, 2000 at 06:57 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Americans Unhygienic in Food Prep: 2000

Americans Unhygienic in Food Prep: one more reason to be vegetarian. [link from Rebecca Blood]

Posted on June 21, 2000 at 06:44 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Zannah asks the burning questions 2000

Zannah asks the burning questions without fear. I wish I knew, Z, I wish I knew.

Posted on June 21, 2000 at 06:34 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

oh no! Heather wasn't supposed 2000

oh no! Heather wasn't supposed to feel all verklempt. Sweetest of the sweet, you were quarter number 6*, sent way back on Monday! I don't know why it didn't arrive... aw poop. I think I sent it to the wrong email address.

*Yes, you and Patrick McGoohan.

Posted on June 21, 2000 at 05:47 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Hmm, you know, branding goes 2000

Hmm, you know, branding goes a long way. For instance, despite rarely reading Slashdot, C|Net or Wired and even more rarely being described as "timid", I appear in the nerds list for weblog junior high. Where do I really belong? Heh. Hrm. Gangs.

Posted on June 21, 2000 at 09:45 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

MetaGrrrl is up on the 2000

MetaGrrrl is up on the soapbox in Metafilter talking about voluntary micropayments.

Posted on June 20, 2000 at 08:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (1)

Well, I've given away $18 2000

Well, I've given away $18 in voluntary micropayments via PayPal in the last two days and I've just gotten started. Judging by the reactions coming in to Derek, I think we've got a good chance to get this meme on the road.

If you visit a site and you like it, give them some money. Even a nickel is fine. Just a token of your appreciation. If we all do it, think of how many people can pay their hosting costs and keep giving us wonderful things to read and listen to and look at. Without ads. Say it together, without ads...

Posted on June 20, 2000 at 06:03 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Something about Octobers: I started 2000

Something about Octobers:
I started my weblog in October of 1998. The domain is older, dating back to May if memory serves. Hmm, yes, looks like MetaGrrrl.com's birthday is May 22, 1998. I had other sites before that but that's when A Domain Of One's Own began for me. Wish I could track down my first site again. I seem to recall doing something in PageMill with that milk-drinking clip art guy. Something about "Milk From Mad Cows". Was that my first appearance on the World Wide Web? Before that I was making silly animated features in Hypercard. Sadly, these are lost to the mists of time.

Ratbastard started his weblog in October of 1998.

Meg started using Blogger for her weblog in October 1999.

Anyone else? What was so magical about that time of year?

Posted on June 20, 2000 at 01:41 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Even on DSL this is 2000

Even on DSL this is painfully slow to load, but I am so glad I waited for the inspiring sounds of I am sexier than Ben Brown is!. Lyrics by Lance "Glassdog" Arthur, starring by Lane "What a lovely hat, darling!" Becker and a cast of other golden throated beauties.

Posted on June 20, 2000 at 08:35 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

MetaGrrrl reader Glyn Williams has 2000

MetaGrrrl reader Glyn Williams has alerted me to the existence of Warmth Wear Fleece -- Cozy Feeted Pajamas for Adults. Prices for their feety pajamas ("feeted?" pah! Feety, I say) are about the same as the old Lands' End ones, but these fine folks have many more colors, make 'em themselves and can fit anybody - yes! Even you big fellers.

Hmm, and I can't seem to find the Lands' End ones available on their website anymore. Good thing I bought two pairs...

Posted on June 20, 2000 at 08:08 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

My first experience with Pacific 2000

My first experience with Pacific Bell DSL was not quite so blatantly bad as Brad's descent to ADSL Hell, but it was bad enough that I said "Friends don't let friends buy PacBell DSL".

On the bright side, ordering these days through Tycho Net will mean all the horrid calling up and yelling gets handled by them. They got it, PacBell hooked it up and, here's the kicker, it actually works and has continued to work. Astounding! Mmm. High bandwidth good... I like Tycho.

Posted on June 19, 2000 at 11:38 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Ok, so I didn't go 2000

Ok, so I didn't go to Home Despot right away. I read Monstro, but I'm glad. It was so worth it to see Lane in a fetching little dress and hat combo. Dreamy!

Posted on June 19, 2000 at 06:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

My friend Meg pokes starfish. 2000

My friend Meg pokes starfish. Poke poke poke...

I am now going away from the computer. I am going to Home Despot where I will purchase some wood and build a shelf for that guy I sleep with. (Note: the shelf goes in the new entertainment center. It is not a shelf on which I will place Edmond. I will place a t.v. on the shelf. Edmond is not, in any sense, a t.v.)

Posted on June 19, 2000 at 05:53 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)