« January 2003 | Main | March 2003 »

Plebdazzle 2003

Just came across this term in this week's dose of snarky news from the U.K. (hey! it's Need To Know - that means it's Friday again!) and since a Google search only yielded 4 hits, I guess it's just the latest thing the kids are saying these days.

So, anyone got a good definition of "plebdazzle" for me? Is it exclusively useful for bad television shows or has it other applications?

Posted on February 28, 2003 at 04:36 PM in quotes | Permalink | Comments (1)

Now I'm all choked up 2003

If you ever saw him, I'm sure you remember the little Japanese bunny with the pancake on his head.

In case you hadn't already heard, he died last month (at the age of 8 and a half years, I think).

That made me sad enough, but I just saw the last pictures of him living and of his funeral and grave. I feel very sorry for his owner. He really loved little Oolong, it's clear.

So long, Oolong.

Posted on February 27, 2003 at 07:35 PM in linky goodness | Permalink | Comments (0)

Cheese of the Day 2003

Today's cheese is Sally Jackson Goat. It is cured wrapped in grape leaves and has a lovely creamy texture and a characteristic goat cheese tanginess.

Yumminess: Quite
Skeeziness: Moderate

Posted on February 23, 2003 at 05:58 PM in Food and Drink | Permalink | Comments (0)

learning week 2003

Friday: "Beginning UNIX class" [at work]

Sunday: "Home Chef knife skills class"

[both noted in old calendar]

Posted on February 21, 2003 at 09:00 AM in creativity, school | Permalink | Comments (0)

Cheese Journal 2003

I'm beginning to get into gourmet cheeses. This is partially the fault of the fine cheesekeepers at Rainbow Grocery. They turned me on to the phenomenal Welsh Red Dragon - a creamy cheese with a hint of good beer and lots & lots of whole mustard seeds. It is fantastic stuff.

Tonight's cheese is from A. G. Ferrari (or whatever it's called), the gourmet Italian deli chain. It's a hard cheese with a salty, smooth flavor. A slight tangy aftertone, but nowhere near as sharp as a good Romano or Parmesan. It's called Piave Mezzano and I recommend it.

Posted on February 20, 2003 at 09:08 PM in Food and Drink | Permalink | Comments (4)

As good as ever, quite possibly better 2003

William Gibson still has It.

Friday morning at 5:45am I walked into the predawn gloom and Texas (by way of Muni, BART, a shuttle and two flights).
Saturday evening I was back in an airport with stores closing and a 4 hour flight ahead of me. I was looking for either Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire or Fast Food Nation but the slim selection didn't include them so I was about to give up when my eye fell on William Gibson's new book Pattern Recognition.

It's a jewel. As sensually satisfying as the best espresso I ever had.

And now I want to (re)read everything else he's ever written.

William Gibson is why "cyberpunk" is a label I'm happy to wear.

Posted on February 16, 2003 at 01:43 PM in Books | Permalink | Comments (0)

The Web Is People (yes, Virginia, just like soylent green...) 2003

The best thing about the web is the way it allows people to speak with their own voices and be heard by many more and more varied folks than might otherwise get to here that personal voice.

I wrote (spoke?) recently about how much I enjoy spending time with the bits of themselves which Billy Boyd and Ian McKellen choose to share on their websites and something just reminded me to check in and see how another person I like is doing these days. I do recommend a visit to Neil Gaiman's site to see whatever happens to be catching his interest at the moment. From a recent post:

You're a very strange and interesting person. Are there more of you?

I keep hoping that sooner or later a few more of me will show up, and then they can write some of the things people are waiting for. Maybe they could even even catch up on e-mail. But currently it's just me. Peculiar, isn't it?

Lovely fellow.

And then there's the folks I actually know. Tonight I was commuting home and waiting for a Muni train that had a tiny bit of space for me to squeeze into, when suddenly there was Heather and I got to give her a hug and chat for a few minutes before her train came. She's been a great support to me over the past couple months, though she doesn't know it; her site is the first on my very short list of daily visits and it cheers me up no end. I hope she has an equally nourishing bookmark in her list.

By the way, it seems as though I'm beginning to get my feet under me again. Not that work is any easier or there's less to do. More actually. But somehow two days off in a row with only a little bit of moving made a big difference. Had a nice surprise visit with my folks yesterday and saw Geoff Hoyle's "Feast of Fools" which we quite enjoyed.

Now I'm listening to music - rating unrated songs in my iTunes list, in alphabetical order which makes for a rather eclectic playlist - and finally catching up with household bookkeeping. (Hmm, are there any other words with three doubled letters in a row?) Of course, since it's me, this productive activity is interrupted by whatever occurs to me to look up on the web such as what Mr. Gaiman's doing these days (bouncing on a trampoline, which I find completely endearing) or who was it who was cast as Aragorn before the absolutely-perfect-for-the-part Viggo Mortensen (Stuart Townsend, who is definitely too young and soft).

Posted on February 10, 2003 at 07:30 PM in The Web | Permalink | Comments (1)

Smile-inducing link and good advice 2003

I have been lax in keeping up with my friends' weblogs as well as my own what with all the work and moving, but every now and then I snatch a moment to check in and I just now saw Mena's cute new design. I like it a whole bunch.

Wise words from the Muni driver:

Keep holding on, please.

Posted on February 10, 2003 at 09:25 AM in linky goodness | Permalink | Comments (0)

Closer to a homelike home 2003

Step 1: internet connection finally works.

Step 2: computer can be located somewhere other than the kitchen counter.

Still workin' on #2...

Posted on February 3, 2003 at 08:52 PM in warnings & kvetches | Permalink | Comments (2)

Sense of Scale 2003

It is very unpleasant to find after six months in your new job, that you now know enough to realize there is more to the job than can be done by any two people and that your products are an order of magnitude more complex than your previous mental model allowed for.

Very unpleasant indeed.

Posted on February 3, 2003 at 01:12 PM in work | Permalink | Comments (3)