« January 2005 | Main | March 2005 »

A reminder 2005

I, an American woman, am still not considered equal under the law to any male citizen.

Eighty-five years ago, in 1920, when my grandmother was four years old, women in the United States received the right to vote, seventy-two years after that basic right had been declared by Elizabeth Cady Stanton at the first convention on woman's rights.

In 1923, and every year since, an Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution has been fought for - and against - in Congress, but remains three states short of ratification. The states in which it has not been approved are:
Alabama
Nevada
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Utah
Virginia

I don't know how people in those states can even look themselves in the mirror.  How can you say your mother, your sister, your daughter, is not the equal under the law of any man in the state?  Because, really, that's what you're saying and that's all you're saying.

The complete text of the Equal Rights Amendment is

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

That's it. The ERA does not invalidate state abortion laws. The ERA does not provide the right to same-sex marriages. The ERA does not make single-sex institutions illegal. It says that what's between your legs shouldn't entitle you to more or less protection under the law.

Yes, I have freedom and some legal precedent and no manifest threat against my liberty, but that is not enough. I want my basic equality declared by the country of my birth and the home of democracy.

Frederick Douglass said at that convention for the rights of woman in 1848, "All that distinguishes man as an intelligent and accountable being is equally true of woman. ... Our doctrine is that right is of no sex."

Posted on February 28, 2005 at 09:42 PM in politics & philosophy | Permalink | Comments (8)

In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.
                                          --Kathleen Norris

Posted on February 26, 2005 at 12:41 AM in quotes | Permalink | Comments (0)

Support your friends and neighbors... 2005

... part 2 in which the definition of neighbor includes sites I visit every day.

I am a kottke.org micropatron

Posted on February 23, 2005 at 11:01 PM in linky goodness | Permalink | Comments (0)

Delicious and unusual combination: Sweet Potatoes with Horseradish. (I substituted Rice Dream for the cream and they turned out fine and probably a great deal healthier). [Found while googling]

Posted on February 20, 2005 at 11:20 PM in Food and Drink | Permalink | Comments (0)

Lynn's Pasta Sauce 2005

My aunt made this yummy dinner when I was helping her move last year. I just found the old email with the recipe and am posting it here to remind me to make it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a baking dish, lay down a layer of basil leaves.
Cover it with a layer of tomatoes.
Sprinkle in some garlic cloves and olive oil.
Bake for a couple hours.

You can serve it right away or save it to reheat when you're cooking pasta.

Add some chopped fresh tomatoes and basil leaves when you warm it up to really make it extra good.

Posted on February 20, 2005 at 10:53 PM in Food and Drink | Permalink | Comments (0)

Wikiverse is not an accurate mirror of Wikipedia 2005

Wikiverse which claims to be "an up-to-date high speed static mirror of Wikipedia, a worldwide community of volunteers building an open-content encyclopedia", but it has clearly not been updated in the last six months. I am aware of a specific example of a quote from this site presented in an article there so out of context as to imply my opinion is the exact opposite (and failing to link to the original context so a reader could reach an appropriate conclusion). That quote was called to my attention last August and I corrected it in Wikipedia, but the change has not populated over to Wikiverse.

Frankly, a bad mirror is worse than no mirror. If they aren't going to keep it up to date, the owners of the domain should take it down and ask Google to remove it from the their index.

Posted on February 20, 2005 at 05:25 PM in warnings & kvetches | Permalink | Comments (0)

Things I Bought 2005

...which turned out to be a good purchase:
- big laundry baskets from Ghana bought through Novica (This particular style no longer available, which makes me even more glad I got them when I did.)
- Ikea dresser set with very simple lines (Malm design)
- McCroskey mattress
- black leather chair and ottoman (got 'em at Macy's about 8 years ago, will still be using decades from now)
- Netflix membership
- Spaghetti Puttanesca at Stelline on Gough St.
- Sunset Magazine in July 1989 with this great recipe for gazpacho
- iMac (Even though I only used it for two years before switching to...)
- PowerBook G4
- ZeroShock case for it from Shinza
- anodized Calphalon cookware

...which turned out not so great
- MiniSync (cable tangles way too easily, company good about replacement first time, but retangled it within a very short time and am giving up on the retractable aspect. Will try taking it apart to at least have a good small cable for travel.)
- $125 down pillow bought with $2000+ mattress (Yeah, I can tell it's better than my Ikea pillow, but it ain't 15 times better. Watch out for the upsell whenever you're in that stunned state on making a major purchase.)

Posted on February 20, 2005 at 04:32 PM in tools | Permalink | Comments (0)

The word for today (and yesterday), which I have just coined, is

precuperate
v. to rest and take it easy in an attempt to avoid coming down with that ailment you feel encroaching on your well-being.

Posted on February 12, 2005 at 01:07 PM in health | Permalink | Comments (1)

Please stand by, normal service will resume shortly. 2005

The domain name migration from Hurricane Electric's servers to TextDrive's seems to have worked fine for the site, but my mail is having glitches at the moment. Might just be waiting for the news to spread to other name servers.

Sorting it out. Email metagrrrl at good ol' gmail for now.

+++

Fixed (within 15 minutes). If you sent me mail in the last 15 hours you may wish to resend it.

Posted on February 12, 2005 at 11:43 AM in warnings & kvetches | Permalink | Comments (1)

Jason pointed me to a fun toy: the NameVoyager. It's an interesting way to navigate a data set of the most popular baby names in the U.S. over the last century.

I note based on my explorations that the opening "ur" syllable has been out of fashion (with a few "Cur-" and "Kur-" exceptions and barring the recent popularity of Uriel) for such a long time that a revival is perhaps in order. Prospective parents, I commend your attention to the names Burnell, Eura, Lura, Muriel, Murphy, Pura, and Urban.

Posted on February 12, 2005 at 09:59 AM in linky goodness | Permalink | Comments (1)

One year ago, in San Francisco City Hall, our mayor did the right thing.

He said that the right to marriage which can be enjoyed by an adult man or woman applies to that person regardless of the gender of his or her spouse. If four individuals can marry when paired in opposite sex couples, there is no sound legal reason for the state to deny those same individuals that right when paired in same sex couples. Further, we have a moral obligation to fight such discrimination.

We are Americans. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men [and women] are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I wish happiness to those brave couples who came to our beautiful city to proclaim their love, commitment and obligation to each other. Happy anniversary!

Posted on February 12, 2005 at 07:34 AM in San Francisco | Permalink | Comments (2)

Winding down a busy week 2005

Lots going on this week at work - product beta test in full swing plus managing some contractual development, plus supervising projects being done by our interns this semester - but going well, so it's a good kind of tired.

Had a great day yesterday. Helped Kristin with her move - driving the truck & helping organize the load - which went nice and fast. Kristin knows how to treat her helpers right and her new apartment looks beautiful - full of character and good light. Afterwards there was a shower (all praise the glory of indoor plumbing and a good hot water supply) and a nap before a sublime dinner of sushi at Shi Mo with an attractive man.

I finally got to bed at a reasonable hour and slept in a lot, but just shy of too much. The light is beautiful here this morning, birds are singing and the sky is blue. I had the last of my friend Vicky's lemon marmalade on some toaster waffles, a glass of OJ and a mug of faux coffee and now I feel quite content.

It's so wonderful to have all this sunshine pouring in the windows. I think that, though it'd be a good walking day, I'll just stick around home and recover from all the lifting yesterday. I don't feel bad, just aware that I've been doing things. Shannon arrives tomorrow, so I'm feeling an incentive to clean up a bit. Not that she's afraid of the occasional dust rhino, but I figure I can use any vague guilty sensation which motivates me to get housework done.

Enjoy your day! Put on some music you like and do what feels right.

Posted on February 6, 2005 at 11:25 AM in mundania | Permalink | Comments (0)