« March 2005 | Main | May 2005 »

Still alive. 2005

Yes, yes, I've been really quiet, but things are fine. I'm just spending long intense days on the computer at work and not been inclined to pick it up again at home. It'll be better in a week after I get through all my big presentations.

How are you? What's going on in your world? Or, if you want a less far-reaching question, what's the last delicious thing you ate?

My answers:
Excellent.
Happiness and busy-ness.
Kickass wonderful hamachi at Osaka Sushi on Castro Street near 18th.

Posted on April 27, 2005 at 10:08 PM in mundania | Permalink | Comments (4)

Recipe: sopa de zanahoria y horchata 2005

4 cups chopped carrots
2 teaspoons butter
2 teaspoons dried shallots
2 cups broth (make your own or buy ready made)
1 cup Rice Dream Horchata

Melt the butter over medium heat in a big saucepan. 81283835_3fbb55b709_o

Add shallots and let cook for half a minute or so.
Add the carrots.
Cook, stirring frequently. 81284351_0c55206ebf_o

When more than half the carrots show browning from the butter, add broth.
Cover and cook 5 minutes.
Stir, cover, cook 5 more minutes.
Stir, cover, cook 5 more minutes.
Add horchata.
Puree with hand mixer (or food processor or blender, but the Braun MultiQuick is the easiest to clean).
Heat up again if necessary and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

This is a sweet soup and could probably be very nicely garnished with garlic croutons. Note that though it tastes sweet and rich and decadent, it's actually quite low calorie.

It was only after I was writing this post that I realized the maker of the broth I used and of Rice Dream are the same company. Hey, Imagine! Keep making this horchata - it rocks!

(Thanks go out to the ever wonderful Jane for translation assistance).

Posted on April 14, 2005 at 09:32 PM in Food and Drink | Permalink | Comments (6)

Bathroom trash after the part-time girl dropped by on our way out 2005

81276435_1ecbd2e790_o

Posted on April 10, 2005 at 12:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Clues 2005

Forgot to write about this last year and just got reminded of it:

On my way back from SXSW 2004 I was doing the crossword puzzle on the plane. Among the clues:

Alice's Cat

Unravel, as a rope

The answers being my name and the storytelling event at which I'd just performed my "Schwag Queen" duties.

Posted on April 8, 2005 at 11:48 PM in SXSW | Permalink | Comments (3)

One morning the BART train had a problem 2005

At Civic Center I stepped up into left side of the normally level with the platform train. Didn't think anything of it until we got to West Oakland when there was a terrible juddering sensation and the smell of burning plastic.

Because the car was riding askew, the rail by the door hit the platform edge and scraped the plastic edging.

81266343_c1001f0c87_o

Note how low the door is

81270088_ab298ed486_o

Back to rights

81273062_bbd9c627a8_o

See the scraped paint? And note how the railing is not actually pulled free? It bent a little bit.

Within 10 minutes of us piling out onto the West Oakland platform, they had fired some little shock absorber jet things under the car and leveled it out.

A normal car for comparison

81273606_6f27a42da2_o

Posted on April 7, 2005 at 12:00 PM in San Francisco, warnings & kvetches | Permalink | Comments (0)

New essay up on Discardia: Internal Clutter

Posted on April 6, 2005 at 11:09 PM in Discardia | Permalink | Comments (0)

Bloggers Without Borders, lessons learned 2005

Those of you who visited Bloggers without Borders back in December and January who have visited it in the last month or so have no doubt noticed a change; it got real quiet. This is not because Sean, Jonas and I suddenly decided it was a bad idea. It's just that it was Sean, Jonas and I doing most everything when it was hopping and we are some of the worst people you could choose for a site to depend on our full attention. We are just too busy to give it all it deserves.

Here are the lessons I've learned in taking on a major project like this:

1. You need at least one person who can devote at least 20 hours a week to it, week after week.

2. You need more than one person who knows how to make all the backend technical stuff work.

3. You need to make time for a weekly meeting - in person, chat session, on the phone, whatever - between the key people on the site where you talk about not the project of the moment or crisis du jour, but about where you're going with the site, whether you're meeting your goals (or if they've changed), and what needs to happen in the next week.

4. You need to keep a list of stuff that needs doing and the kind of person who could do it AND who can supervise the project. This will allow you to put interested volunteers to work so you can both find out if they are a good fit for the project. If they work out well, then give them more from the list or let them evolve to a more responsible position.

5. Each of the key people should have two more lists: "Things I'd like to be able to delegate" and "Things I'd like to be able to spend more time on".  This feeds into making good use of those more responsible & involved people when they come along and provides a safety valve to keep your key people from burning out.

6. You should also keep a big list of finite tasks which you can give to those people who don't have much time but do have major skill or clout. Find a way to make use of them instead of having an "all or nothing" approach to involvement.

Why are half my points lists? Yes, okay, I do like lists, but it's not just that; key people will get busy and need to drop out. They get new projects, have babies, change jobs, fall in love, get sick, or just plain need time off. It's important to get ideas out of their heads and into the group's knowledge before they fade out of the project.

Does all this mean that Bloggers without Borders will stay quiet? Not necessarily. Does it mean I may not be very involved in the next few months? Yeah, probably. Does it mean you shouldn't take on your big wild idea? Hell no. If nothing else we promoted the idea, tested the technology and, incidently, raised a pile of money for tsunami relief. I'm mighty happy about all that.

Posted on April 6, 2005 at 10:02 PM in politics & philosophy | Permalink | Comments (1)

I am not a journalist, I'm a writer. 2005

"Folks, journalism is a craft. It takes a lot of time to learn to do well. There are rules, written and unwritten, that are applied. Laws that matter. Experience that you have to earn. Journalism - good journalism - is really, really hard.

Blogging, like you're reading now, is not hard. It's not supposed to be. A lot of people have worked very hard to make blogging as easy as typing a thought and hitting a button. That's the beauty of blogging - anyone can do it, about anything.

So again I say: Please, for the love of all that's good and holy, do NOT turn bloggers into journalists!"

Derek Powazek, Bloggers Don't Let Your Children Grow Up to Be Journalists

Posted on April 5, 2005 at 09:19 AM in Weblogs | Permalink | Comments (6)