« March 2012 | Main | May 2012 »

at Comstock Saloon 2012

IMG_2702

love that leather

IMG_2703
cheers!

Posted on April 30, 2012 at 06:48 PM in San Francisco | Permalink | Comments (0)

the polarization that's always bubbling underneath the surface 2012

RT @jsmooth995: New video, looking past the news cycle on Trayvon Martin

Posted on April 30, 2012 at 02:53 PM in Current Affairs, politics & philosophy, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

My city is planning exciting changes 2012

I'm excited by ideas coming out of BetterMarketStreet.org e.g., "Provide real-time information on underground arrivals at street level"

(Note: There's a ton of material on their site, but the overview you want is called "Integrated Findings & Design Drivers".)

Posted on April 30, 2012 at 01:46 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Do your homework, tech bloggers! (& tech blog readers) 2012

Sharp writing from @anildash: "Why you can't trust tech press to teach you about the tech industry"

Posted on April 30, 2012 at 01:18 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Look closely at your contempt 2012

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 2.54.49 PM

Posted on April 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM in Discardia | Permalink | Comments (0)

Finding the Limits of Empathy 2012

RT @cshirky: Degrees of empathy & political engagement are correlated directly among liberals, inversely among conservatives.

Posted on April 30, 2012 at 09:16 AM in politics & philosophy, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

Details filling in as I go 2012

Yes, it may look a little sparse around here with my tweets automatically popping over, but don't worry: I'm adding proper titles, additional quotes, better (perhaps more long-term durable) forms of the links, embedded videos, etc. every few days or weekend.

When I looked back on the pre-Flickr, pre-Twitter years of this blog, I realized how much clearer a picture I had of what was going on in my life and capturing my attention. It's my intent to restore that richness to the blog going forward and—as time permits—to bring into the archives of MetaGrrrl.com those things I shared elsewhere on the web.

Thanks for your patience as I work out the kinks of this single lifestream stuff. :)

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM in tweets, warnings & kvetches, Weblogs | Permalink | Comments (4)

How America Came To Torture Its Prisoners 2012

"I read nearly 140,000 formerly classified docs about America's abuse of prisoners since 2001. Here is what I learned."

Our highest government officials, up to and including President Bush, broke international and U.S. laws banning torture and cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment. Worse, they made their subordinates in the military and civilian intelligence services break those laws for them.

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 09:31 PM in Current Affairs, politics & philosophy, tweets, warnings & kvetches | Permalink | Comments (0)

Lest I need remind anyone why I don't eat the stuff 2012

RT @thelancearthur: Wellness center leaves four fast food meals out to see what happens. After two years: Not a damned thing.

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 09:16 PM in health, tweets, warnings & kvetches | Permalink | Comments (0)

My long-form reading concierge today 2012

RT @stewart: Foreign Policy lately: good! Last month: 'The Revenge of Wen Jiabao' Last: 'Why Do They Hate Us?'

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 09:01 PM in Current Affairs, friends & family, linky goodness, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

beautiful in any light 2012

IMG_2698

IMG_2697

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 02:12 PM in San Francisco, the big room with the blue ceiling | Permalink | Comments (0)

warning: escaping cat inside 2012

IMG_2695

Posted on April 29, 2012 at 01:27 PM in San Francisco | Permalink | Comments (0)

Training a night owl 2012

My new habit of going to bed earlier (Joe time) is starting to work. Sleepy at 11pm. Part of me thinks that's just sad, but [at least I made the bed today]: Clean sheets!

Posted on April 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM in Dinah - preferences, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

Try something new for 30 days 2012

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 2.53.05 PM

Posted on April 28, 2012 at 09:00 PM in Discardia | Permalink | Comments (0)

beloved neighborhood tree 2012

IMG_2692

Posted on April 28, 2012 at 06:36 PM in San Francisco, the big room with the blue ceiling | Permalink | Comments (0)

monitored 2012

IMG_2689

[In hindsight months later it turns out even expensive underwire bras are not that comfortable.]

Posted on April 28, 2012 at 05:59 PM in warnings & kvetches | Permalink | Comments (0)

The Pirates! 2012

What dream team will get me out of the house & into a movie theater seat? Aardman Animations. :)

Posted on April 28, 2012 at 02:31 PM in movies & tv, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

Understanding Hipster Racism 2012

RT @questlove: wow. Lester Bangs/Hipstrer Counterculture/Music Critcs/& wherever you fall on the "Girls"debate: read and absorb.

Posted on April 27, 2012 at 06:04 PM in politics & philosophy, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

making neighborhood connections 2012

IMG_2688

Posted on April 27, 2012 at 05:37 PM in politics & philosophy, San Francisco | Permalink | Comments (0)

Ya fly the Space Shuttle over NYC and ya see what happens? 2012

RT @arielwaldman: I don't have words for the latest space meme. I present you SHUTTLING:

ArhIe_wCAAES_0i
/thx @spacesooner

Posted on April 27, 2012 at 04:02 PM in creativity, Current Affairs, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

David Bowie - Starman (1972) 2012

RT @magicalipod: There's a Starmaaaaaan, waiting in the sky...

Posted on April 27, 2012 at 02:16 PM in music, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

Exposure is not why I blog. 2012

Was there some kind of major staff change at @typepad? Email/blog stuff now all SEO this, SEO that. Ugh. Sign me "saddened 9 year customer".

They reply:
@MetaGrrrl We just know that a lot of our users are interested in SEO stuff. Is there a specific issue there that's worrying you?

I react:
.@typepad In the wake of this ("Google Is Working On Making SEO Matter Less") you really don't see the negative connotations of the term SEO & ad-over-content culture?

Just using the term in a tweet prompted auto-following by "social media management" & "network marketing pro" types. Ugh. Not the web I want.

Then Ed chimes in:
RT @vielmetti: @typepad, I'm not producing content, I'm writing.

Posted on April 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM in tweets, warnings & kvetches, Weblogs | Permalink | Comments (0)

Make a Sentimental Items District 2012

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 2.51.22 PM

Posted on April 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM in Discardia | Permalink | Comments (0)

"a very moving manifestation of Norwegian culture" 2012

RT @thelancearthur: 40,000 Norwegians raise their voices to sing "Children of the Rainbow" to annoy mass murderer Anders Breivik.

Posted on April 26, 2012 at 09:16 PM in politics & philosophy, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)

Trees! 2012

Being more active in my neighborhood is making me happy. Just got back from a great Hayes Valley Neighborhood Association meeting re: trees.

Posted on April 26, 2012 at 09:16 PM in San Francisco, the big room with the blue ceiling, tweets | Permalink | Comments (0)