« September 2012 | Main | November 2012 »

eggplant & pecans roasted over rosemary & lemon 2012

Criss-cross rosemary stems in bottom of pan, drizzle a dab of olive oil over, just a teaspoon or two. Cover with lemon slices. Cover with eggplant slices. Brush eggplant with olive oil. Add pecans, also brushed with olive oil. I used about 1/4 cup of good olive oil for this big pan all together, I'd guess. Cook at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then monitor to achieve nice balance of roastedness without burning.
Taken on October 19, 2012 at 01:52PM
Uploaded to Flickr on October 20, 2012 at 07:46PM: http://flic.kr/p/dmq6s4

8107312155_4143bdf769_o.jpg

Posted on October 20, 2012 at 07:54 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Tool shopping strategies 2012

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 12.59.37 PM

Posted on October 19, 2012 at 06:01 PM in Discardia | Permalink | Comments (0)

Getting healthier 2012

I'd grown dissatisfied with how strong and healthy I was feeling and frustrated over clothes that didn't fit anymore. Here's what I've been doing to change that:

- Eating more fresh food and cooking more from scratch.
This is an old habit I'd fallen out of so I have good skills here that just need reviving. One of my biggest tools to help with this is a weekly produce delivery from Planet Organics. They have grocery items as well as produce and even have recently added a CSA box within the order, selectable or not by the week rather than being locked in, which is a big help for folks who travel a lot.

- Walking 10,000 steps or more a day.
Still trying to reach the point where I do this without fail, but the treadmill desk helps a lot. I haven't left the house today and haven't been doing much around the place, but as I write this I'm going 1.9mph and have already hit 3300 steps just catching up with email, doing my weekly review, etc. The tool that helps motivate me here is my Fitbit. I thought about adding a Nike Fuelband, but I tend to hate bracelets since I'm typing a lot of the time.

- Measuring my weight and BMI.
I use a Withings scale for this (Joe has one), but actually track the measurements on the Fitbit site. The other tool that supports me here is the Bang Bang diet app, which is basically a tracker tool for the Hacker's Diet: if you're on track for your weight loss goal, eat normally, and if not, eat light. Haven't tried the Withings app, but am about to try it out.

- Making chopped salads.
I know this shouldn't seem like such a big deal, but I think having one of these every week has really helped, and they're so delicious I feel confident I could up that to twice a week. I got the idea from this Jamie Oliver podcast.

Is it working? Well, after gaining about 10lbs in the last year (when I was actually trying to lose 13lbs), in the last two weeks I've lost over 4lbs. I blame restaurant dining, inactivity, and cocktails, but mostly restaurant food. Now probably half of this recent weight loss comes from when I had food poisoning (not salad related, I'm pretty confident), but even if I am losing a couple pounds a month, I'm going to be feeling a lot better by spring and will have installed some good habits under my skin.

Posted on October 16, 2012 at 03:35 PM in Food and Drink, health | Permalink | Comments (0)

If you're going to take a break, really take it. 2012

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 12.58.29 PM

Posted on October 16, 2012 at 02:07 PM in Discardia | Permalink | Comments (0)

Acknowledge undulation in your life 2012

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 12.55.59 PM

Posted on October 14, 2012 at 01:53 PM in Discardia | Permalink | Comments (0)

"We're all just temporarily in a very unnatural not-dead state."

- Paul Ford (@ftrain)

Posted on October 9, 2012 at 09:54 PM in quotes | Permalink | Comments (0)

Me and my beloved great-uncle Art 2012

8075851524_ef3298c613_h
Photo by cousin C'Anna, "Art shares a laugh with Dinah"

Posted on October 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM in friends & family | Permalink | Comments (0)

Train trip to Shafter 2012

8075856077_f24b5edeb8_h
Photo by cousin C'Anna, "Waiting for the train in Martinez Monday"

8076378771_2fcf98e72c_h
Photo by Mum Jinx.
Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 3.38.20 PM

8075856719_126ee9ba15_h
Photo by C'Anna, "Dinah reflected in train window"
Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 3.44.00 PM

8076378701_4bda065b08_h
Photo by Jinx, "Dinah talkin' & bloggin'"
Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 3.45.09 PM

8075852044_aa4fbf6e49_h
Photo by C'Anna, "Dinah concentrates through the Fresno stop"
Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 3.47.34 PM

8075862765_9e42fe55d0_h
Photo by C'Anna, "Dinah and Jinx on the train"
Screen Shot 2013-12-24 at 3.48.29 PM

Posted on October 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM in friends & family, travel | Permalink | Comments (0)

How to create time 2012

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 12.53.42 PM Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 12.54.21 PM

Posted on October 2, 2012 at 01:21 PM in Discardia | Permalink | Comments (0)